Prince Charles tests positive for coronavirus

Home UK Prince Charles tests positive for coronavirus
Prince Charles tests positive for coronavirus

Prince Charles has tested positive for coronavirus.

Clarence House confirmed that the 71-year-old royal had been diagnosed with the COVID-19 disease in a statement released this morning.

The heir to the throne is said to have displayed "mild symptoms" on Sunday and was then tested on Monday, with the results coming through late on Tuesday night.

Charles "otherwise remains in good health" and has been self-isolating in Scotland with the Duchess of Cornwall – who has tested negative for coronavirus.

Image: The Duchess of Cornwall has tested negative for the disease

"The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus," the statement said.

Advertisement

"He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.

"The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.

More from Covid-19

"The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.

"It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks."

Gordon Buchanan from Glasgow is made an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) by the Prince of Wales during an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, London. PA Photo. Picture date: Thursday March 12 2020. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire
Image: The Prince of Wales at an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace on 12 March

Prince Charles' last public event was a reception and dinner in aid of the Australian bushfire relief effort on 12 March, which took place at Mansion House in London.

Earlier that day the Prince of Wales had attended an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, where he greeted recipients with a non-contact gesture due to concerns about the spread of the illness.

Prince Charles in London earlier this month. Pic: James Shaw/Shutterstock
Image: Prince Charles in London earlier this month. Pic: James Shaw/Shutterstock

Sky News' royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills said that since then Charles has a "small number of meetings", and that all people he has come into contact with have been tested.

Doctors' most conservative estimate is that he would have been contagious since 13 March, she added.

He last met the Queen on the morning of 12 March and the 93-year-old monarch is said to be in "good health" and following all appropriate health and safety advice.

Following Prince Charles' diagnosis, Buckingham Palace said: "Her Majesty The Queen remains in good health.

"The Queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly on 12 March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare. We will not be commenting further."

The Queen is joined by her family at Westminster Abbey
Image: The Queen is said to be in good health and following all appropriate advice

On 11 March, Charles attended a Prince's Trust event in London and greeted celebrity guests without a handshake.

Among those he was seen meeting were Ant and Dec, actor Pierce Brosnan and Rolling Stones star Ronnie Wood.

The Prince of Wales speaks with Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood as he arrives at the annual Prince's Trust Awards 2020 held at the London Palladium.
Image: Prince Charles and Ronnie Wood at Prince's Trust event earlier this month
The Prince of Wales uses a Namaste gesture to greet television presenters Ant McPartlin (left)and Declan Donnelly as he arrives at the annual Prince's Trust Awards 2020 held at the London Palladium. PA Photo. Picture date: Wednesday March 11, 2020. See PA story ROYAL Trust. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire
Image: Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly greet Charles
LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 11: Prince Charles, Prince of Wales uses the Namaste gesture to greet Anna Friel and Pierce Brosnan as he attends the Prince's Trust And TK Maxx & Homesense Awards at London Palladium on March 11, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Image: Prince Charles and Pierce Brosnan

On 10 March, Prince Charles hosted a WaterAid summit at Clarence House to discuss the impact of climate change on access to drinking water.

The event was also attended by Prince Albert of Monaco, who last week became the first head of state confirmed to have tested positive for coronavirus.

His health was described as "not worrying" and he was being treated by doctors from the Princess Grace Hospital, named after his US actress mother.

Albert is continuing to work from his home office in the palace and is in contact with members of his government.

Charles sat across from Prince Albert at the WaterAid summit
Image: Charles sat across from Prince Albert at the WaterAid summit
Prince Albert attended a WaterAid summit hosted by Prince Charles
Image: Prince Albert attended a WaterAid summit hosted by Prince Charles

The announcement that Prince Charles has COVID-19 coRead More – Source

[contf] [contfnew]

sky news

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]